News from Interstate Truck Driving School - Back to News Page
April 27th UPDATE
Submitted by Bill on
Eligible Minnesotans can now apply for a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) online while DVS exam stations are closed due to COVID-19.
This service allows our students that have passed their CDL road test in Wisconsin to apply for their Minnesota CDL.
Visit drive.mn.gov and select Apply for a Commercial Driver's License in the driver services section and follow the prompts to apply. You will need to complete the online application and pay the license fee. A new photo and vision screening are not required.
This online service allows Minnesotans to:
- Upgrade from a commercial learners permit to a full CDL.
- Upgrade a current CDL to a higher class of CDL.
- Remove a restriction from their current CDL.
- Add endorsements to their current CDL.
Minnesotans are eligible for this if they:
- Have a valid Minnesota class D or commercial driver's license.
- Are at least 21 years old.
- Have recently passed required knowledge and/or skills tests. (Knowledge and skills tests are not available while DVS exam stations are closed during Gov. Walz's stay at home order.)
You will need the following forms when applying:
- A completed Commercial Driver's Medical Self-Certification form.
- A Medical Examiner's Certificate, if one is not already on file with DVS.
- One of the following proof of domicile presence documents:
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
- Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. state, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa or the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State or Certificate of Naturalization issued by Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS or valid, unexpired Permanent Residence Card.
- Unexpired employment authorization document issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or an unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form.
If you have questions, use the driver services contact forms to reach out to DVS.